Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"Yorkshire all out 232, Hutton ill! I'm sorry.Hutton 111" - BBC news announcer

We used to go to Scarborough for our holidays when I was a nipper, and tales of derring-do by the great Yorkshire cricket side of the 1950's and 1960's led me to supporting the Yorkshire County Cricket side. I suppose I was the cricket equivalent of the 'glory-hunter' Manc fan from Devon... or is it Chelsea these days? Anyway, for my sins I have ended up supporting Yorkshire through thin and thinner over the last 40 years or more. So... I was puffed out with pride to see big Matty helping the King of Spain to guide England home on Sunday afternoon. Why, even curmudgeonly old Boycs is claiming the credit. To understand just how helpful Boycs can be, you have to hear this tale from Basil D'Olivera that sums him up perfectly. D'Olivera came out to bat on a sticky wicket with England a four wickets down for very little, and Boycs was still in on about 6 not out. After a few balls Dolly realised that if you took a large step down the wicket you could nullify the spin and batting became easier. He walked down the wicket to Boycott and explained his theory to the great man. "I know" said the world's most selfish Yorkshireman, "but don't tell the others!"