Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Treading on your toe to cure a headache

I can't say I wasn't warned. When I said I was seeing a chiropractor for my bad back people muttered darkly about 'seeking a second opinion'. The pain was too bad. I didn't listen. So I went for my treatment... (and bloody expensive it was too). I was lifted up and lain down on a bench. "Relax your shoulders" she said. I did as I was told. My shoulders were completely relaxed... and unprepared. Whooomph! With all her might she literally bashed me in the back. "There... did you here that noise" she said, "that was the air coming out of your back." "No" I replied "that was the air coming out of every orifice in my body... and possibly the sound of one of my ribs cracking." I limped out, battered. For the last two nights I have been in agony... not from my back, but my ribcage. Turning over in bed is an exercise of major proportions, like an oil tanker manoeuvring in the English Channel. Back to the acupuncturist, I think.