Thursday, October 21, 2004

Walsall blasts back

Earlier in the week I made some lighthearted and, let's face it, downright insulting remarks about the town of Walsall. Well now I have got my comeuppance. I had an e-mail from someone who berates me for hypocrisy for taking Boris Johnson to task for allowing insulting and patronising remarks about the City of Liverpool, whilst doing the same thing myself about her home town. Furthermore she says, for someone so keen on markets, why not give credit to Walsall for its excellent streetmarket? Of course, she is spot on. My remarks, although joking, were insulting and I'm sorry if they upset you Jean, or anyone else... and the Walsall market really is great. I hear, by the way, they have recently started selling oysters, which brings to mind Frank Skinner's remark that eating oysters is like "licking phlegm off a tortoise."