Friday, May 13, 2005

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Nostalgia time. Was it really 40 years ago? Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone does stand out for me as not only a great rock song, but a real revolution in the head. And it is all set off by that single drum beat (repeated with less drama but equally stunning by Marvin Gaye on 'Grapevine') and then the band kick in. I saw Dylan a year later at The Odeon Liverpool, and as soon as the band started the electric second session the 'folkies' started heckling, booing and slow handclapping. Me... I was spellbound. The sound was incredibly loud in contrast to the acoustic first half, but the impact was something I only ever saw once again, in a small club in London when a young chap called Jimi Hendrix did things with a guitar that should never have been possible. Who knows where the time goes?