Friday, September 15, 2006

The God slot... or thought for the day

It would appear the Pope has put his size 9’s in it with some remarks quoting some 14th century Christian Emperor saying that the Prophet Muhammad had brought the world only "evil and inhuman" things. OK… who cares what the 14th Century bigots thought about these things, or why the Pope thought it so necessary to regurgitate, it would appear a peculiar way of, in his diplomats words “cultivating a position of respect and dialogue towards other religions.” But what do I know? I was taught religion at school by a Welsh, fundamentalist, sadist named Hughes. One of his tricks was to make us learn whole passages of the Bible, and then read them out from memory to the whole class. He would stand, fist poised behind your head waiting for you to stumble, hesitate, deviate or just plain forget. If and when you did his fist would bring down the vengeance of the Lord swiftly upon you. The one passage I cocked-up on was the 10 commandments, although I can still to this day recall elements of it that were burnt, or beaten, into my brain. So, how about this one for the Holy Father to contemplate in his quieter moments…
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, punishing the iniquities of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those that hate me;
Even leaving aside his child beating tendencies, just how was this supposed to persuade me of the value of Hughes’ religion? If I make a mistake and worship a false idol, not only do I cop it (fair enough, you might say, although not terribly compassionate) but my kids? Their children, and even their children following them? No, not for me, mate, count me out of all of this stuff.